Lost Arts Kitchen has moved

Lost Arts Kitchen has moved. You will be automagically redirected to LostArtsKitchen.wordpress.com in three seconds.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Gingered Rhubarb and Pear Crisp

Oh how I love this dessert! Ginger and rhubarb are an amazing combination! Hooray for spring! Serve this with a dollop of farm-fresh vanilla whipped cream.

Serves 8

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
1½ pounds rhubarb (trimmed weight)
1½ pounds peeled and chopped pears
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons crystallized ginger
½-¾ cup Rapadura or sugar (depending on how sweet you like your dessert)
2 tablespoons flour

For topping:
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup hazelnut meal
½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
½ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease eight 6-ounce ramekins. Cut rhubarb into 1” lengths and place in saucepan with pears, fresh and crystallized ginger, Rapadura and flour. Cover and cook gently over low heat for 6 to 10 minutes until rhubarb is just softened, but still holding its shape. Transfer to prepared ramekins.

Place oats, hazelnut meal, hazelnuts, flour, and ground ginger in bowl and stir well until combined. Mix in maple syrup, then add butter and rub into mixture to form a rough crumbly mixture. Spoon over rhubarb in ramekins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve while still warm.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your interview in the Oregonian newspaper on February 19th. Wow. You are where I'm traveling to.

    I'm working hard to learn how to make healthy foods fit into our budget. I've found that the way to save money in the kitchen isn't from buying cheap food, it's from savvy kitchen practices!

    Thanks for sharing, if I didn't live in TN, I'd come take your class! I signed up for your newsletter and blog...looking forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! this is great direction for me as I rediscover the deliciousness of rhubarb. the topping is very similar to what I made last night... so I can agree that it's addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I can adapt this for GAPS. It sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to see what you do with it, Teri. I have used hazelnut meal instead of flour to help thicken the fruit mixture. Would you use honey instead of the sugar and maple syrup? Crushed nuts and butter for the topping?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, ginger and rhubarb are amazing together. Someone posted on FB about making a pear, rhubarb, ginger, and LIME jam that I feel compelled to try soon. Sounds like one of amazing concoctions that you always do.

    ReplyDelete