Lost Arts Kitchen has moved

Lost Arts Kitchen has moved. You will be automagically redirected to LostArtsKitchen.wordpress.com in three seconds.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January Newsletter

Happy New Year from Lost Arts Kitchen!
However you celebrate, I hope you and yours enjoyed a wondrous Season of Light and also found time to rest, reflect and rejuvenate. A lengthy bout of illness delayed this month's newsletter, but I'm glad to get a small collection of news, recipes, kitchen tips, and class updates out to you now. Dig around amongst the Roots & Tubers and you'll even find a story about my brush with Presidential Greatness...

Stocks, Soups, and Stews Class Rescheduled
In the last month everyone in my family was hit by a nasty bug. The kids got it first, just before Christmas, then Mike and I succumbed after the New Year. I developed bronchitis and felt worse than I have in years. With the Stocks, Soups, and Stews class just days away and my husband and I still battling fevers and coughs, I decided it would be best to postpone the class until we regained our health. If you are interested in learning how to prepare delicious, mineral-rich stock at home and new ways to use it, the class will now be held on Saturday, January 24th at 10am. Thanks again to those of you already signed up who were so gracious about the schedule change.

Share the Love with Chocolate
Join me at Friendly Haven Rise Farm on Saturday, February 7th at 6pm, as we make a trio of chocolate delights in preparation for Valentine's Day. We'll start with a Chocolate Pavé, or flourless cake, made with chocolate sourced from small farms in Ecuador by Oregon chocolate maker Dagoba, local eggs and butter, and topped with rosewater cream for a special treat for that special someone. Then we'll make our own chocolate and flavor it as we wish, for amazing cocoa or just eating with a spoon. Finally, we'll make bite-size vegan chocolate fruit & nut balls, perfect for snacking or sharing the love at your next potluck. To enroll, email or call Friendly Haven Rise Farm (360)687-8384.

Dark Days Challenge: Eating Local in Winter
Eating from our regional foodshed during the dark days of winter can challenge the heartiest locavore, but we're fortunate to have a variety of fresh foods available in Portland even now. When using foods in season, try simple preparations that highlight natural flavors. Get to know overlooked veggies by cooking them without complicated sauces or hiding them amongst a dozen other ingredients; you will save yourself time and effort in the kitchen while coming to appreciate why people have cultivated them for millennia. Read more...

Banner Week for a Real Food Foodie: Michael Pollan AND Mark Bittman
So, while I was still recovering from bronchitis and super busy preparing for my first official class, I put everything aside to see two of my favorite food writers last week. Michael Pollan spoke at a sold out Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall as part of the Portland Arts & Lectures Series on Tuesday evening and Matt Bittman spoke to an SRO crowd at Powell's on Thursday. Both writers had lots to say about what's wrong with how most Americans are eating today and suggestions about changes we could make that would benefit our health, our communities, our planet, and palates. Read more...

Survey Says...
If you haven't already done so, please take a couple minutes to fill out this survey so I can schedule the classes you are most interested in taking. I appreciate your input.

Sign Up Now for Winter Classes or Arrange a Class with Friends
As I mentioned previously, the Stocks, Soups, and Stews class has been rescheduled to January 24th. Due to popular request, I added the Baking Basics class on February 7th. In March, I am offering Dairy Magic, Baking Basics, Italian Family Favorites (Abbondanza! This one's going to be fun!), and So Long Supermarket, Hello Pantry. Visit the Lost Arts Kitchen web site to learn more about class offerings and to register. Also, if you are interested in taking a class that's not currently scheduled, please don't hesitate to ask about it. Arrange to take a class with a group of six and everyone gets a 20% discount--we can schedule a date and time that works for your group and I will come to your kitchen if you prefer.

Thanks to all of you who have been so amazingly supportive of my new business, who have signed up for classes, bought gift certificates, told your friends and co-workers about Lost Arts Kitchen, mentioned it on your blogs, or asked me to teach at your schools, shops, and farms. I am truly humbled and honored.

Wishing You Peace and Abundance,
Chris

1 comment:

  1. Love the new newsletter delivery system.
    Your blog is so inspirational! Thanks!
    :) Deborah

    ReplyDelete